Dragons Of The Air

Many years ago, I found a book in an avaiation book store in London.
Title is "Dragons Of The Air"; author is H.G. Seeley; pub date is 1901.
It is subtitled "An Account Of Extinct Flying Reptiles."  It's been in
my bookcase for years and just recently I noticed it and remembered I
never finished reading it. (For those from England on the list, the
price is 32/, then repriced to 1.60 pounds, which means I must have
bought it when metric first came in.  I was in England from '68 to '72.)

I have a few questions about the book and also the contents, if anybody
cann help me.  First, is the book of any value?  By value, I mean is the
material so dated as to be totally useless?  Many of the names
(taxonomy) are new to me and I'm having trouble finding information on
them.  Could that be because the species have been extensively revised
during the last 96 years?

In fact, given the age, I'm assuming that everything in the book is a
curiosity - that recent research has revised most of the analyses and
conclusions.  So what contemporary material is available?  Has anybody
written a book or books on Pteradons during the 1990's?  Are there any
recommendations for reading from the dinosaur list?

The book is enjoyable for the focus on the subject.  And the great
woodcuts and drawings.  Nothing in color of course.  Still fun to read.

A specific question is around Rhamphorhynchus phyllurus.  It is given as
from the Solenhofen slate.  I didn't know that Pterdactyles (his
spelling) were found at Solenhofen.  Have these specimens all been
reclassified?  My first assumption is that I'm not aware of everything
published on the subject.

But that brings up my next question: what is the acknowledged overlap
between true feathered species vs membraned species?  Is there a long
record of overlap with both types coexisting?

I don't want to open up the dinosaur vs bird discussion again.  Just
curious what the fossil record shows and is it continuous or just random
data points?

Billy