Re: Dragons Of The Air & competition based extinction

In a message dated 97-07-31 04:49:04 EDT, Pieter Depuydt writes:

<< moreover I have the impression that
 'competition based extinction scenarios' are nowadays a bit out of
 grace.  >>

Besides the more sexy appeal of things like comets, what bases are there for
the fall from grace by competition based extinction scenarios?  Certainly, in
the case of any kind of critter v. man, we have out-competed and brought to
extinction many species; while I wouldn't suggest that this is a valid
parallel, it does seem that competition is a reasonable factor in the
'extinction equation'; perhaps even the lynchpin in the process for some
unfortunate species.

Can anyone update me on the newThink in this regard?

Thanx,

Wayne A. Bottlick