Dunkleosteus confusion and a reiterated question

> From:          paleo@ix.netcom.com (Glen J. Kuban)

> Larry recently wrote about a Dunkelosteus (large
> arthrodire from the Devonian Cleveland shale)
> sculpture, suggesting it is the first such sculpture
> of this remarkable fish.  Actually, several life
> models of Dunky have been made before, including a
> full-scale, realistic life model built by Tim Riedel
> and others about a year and a half ago the "Cleveland
> Before Cleveland" exhibit at CMNH.  The model was
> based on the many fine original specimens of D.
> from the local area.

Sorry again about the marginal topicality of this but I know there
are some paleoart collectors out there --

>From the replies to my post it's clear that there's some
misunderstanding here.

I thought it was fairly clear that I was referring to scaled-down
life restorations accessible to the non-institutional collector of
such;  I'm sure the life model at the CMNH is wonderful (and
there's an awesome one at the AMNH which may actually be the same
model), but I don't have room in my apartment for it!

Furthermore, I haven't carried out the Fort Knox job yet so its
price tag may be a bit extreme.

If you are interested in a 1/35th scale sculpture of Dunkle's Bony
One for display on your shelf or in your classroom or just to scare
the cat, the Wiccart one at about a hundred bucks may be a better buy
and more managable than a gigantic ten thousand dollar (or more)
lifesize model.  It is a kit so will come unbuilt and unpainted, but
I think they'll probably be available built and painted up for an
extra charge.  Sorry if I was unclear.  Even with PT out there
sometimes news about paleoart slips through the cracks and I like to
give a heads-up.

Wiccart's URL is:

http://www.idigital.net/wiccart/index.htm

Steve has had a death in the family recently so may not reply to your
mail with his normal incredible speed if you inquire.

It's a commercial site.  I'm not affiliated with it.  They offer very
nice scale or lifesize skull restorations of Riojasuchus,
Herrerasaurus, Styracosaurus, Platecarpus, and will have T. horridus
soon.  They also offer a full-size Rhamphorynchus skeleton, one of
which is currently  in the Lost World exhibit at the AMNH.  The
Dunkleosteus is their first life restoration. At 1/35th scale, it'll
be in scale with such sculptures as the Dinosaur Studio's great stuff
and Mike Trcic's incredible T. rex, so should offer an exotic
addition to a collector of this stuff.

This leads to a question I've asked before but never got a reply to:
Wiccart's model will be 1/35th scale and assumes D. reached lengths
of 30' or more.  They are modeling it on the more traditional
rendition of D. rather than the new sharklike trend (there's a
picture of this on the Wiccart website in case you're interested).
Is this length estimate in line with the current thinking of those
who disagree with the shark body-form?  Should he say it's 1/12th
scale instead?  Length estimates I've seen recently all top out at
about 16' but they assume the more compact sharklike form.

Regards,
Larry

"Atheism: a non-prophet organization"