Deciduous horn?

Is it at all plausible that the nasal horn of Triceratops might have been
deciduous?  I realize it would be very weird indeed to have deciduous and
non-deciduous on the same head, but haven't encountered any satisfactory
explanation of why the nasal horn varies so drastically, from the
rounded- basal- knob style, through the cute- little- rosebud- stuck- on-
the- knob, to the huge mean vicious full-blown pointy horn as in the
famous YPM 1922 T. prorsus.  Even if there is some sort of differential
preservation involved, one wonders why it is so frequently the nasal horn
that disappears.  Or is there a perfectly good explanation that I've
somehow overlooked?

Pat
patg@vax2.concordia.ca