Re: [Fwd: Re: NOVA]

Cliff Nystrom writes:

>   With regard to fossils on land under the control of different government
>entities that is a problem that should concern us all. There are a multitude
>of finds "weathering" out in the badlands of the western United States. Some
>are known and many are simply undiscovered and will never be realized.

In an attempt to counteract this danger, there was an attempt a few years ago
to draft paleo-positions into National Park, BLM, and Forest Service budgets.
The idea was to have people on site, who had the expertise and authority to
find, catalog, and collect fossils found on their land.  Presumably, they would
be an official that visitors could go to with questions, comments, and finds.
I'm not certain on the status of this movement (and with the current
budget-cutting being done in Washington D.C., it may be dead), but this could
be an easy compromise.  The officials would have the authority to issue
collecting-permits to commercial collectors, with an understanding that the
official would be able to see the quarry and collect any scientific information
available.

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.