Re: Bird cladistics

At 09:54 AM 3/3/97 -0600, Rob Meyerson wrote:

>Many times, on this list, we have divulged into heated debate over whether
it ismore correct to call modern birds "dinosaurs" or "dinosaur-decendants (this
>debate is usually along cladist/non-cladist lines)."  Now, I am certain that on
>the therapsid listserve, if such a beast exists, there is not a demand to
call modern mammals "therapsids."

Your assumption is incorrect.

See J.A. Hopson (1994.  Synapsid evolution and the radiation of
non-eutherian mammals.  pp. 190-219.  In: Major Features of Vertebrate
Evolution. Short Courses in Paleontology Number 7.); and T. Rowe (1988.
Definition, diagnosis, and origin of Mammalia.  JVP 8: 241-264; 1993.
Phylogenetic systematics and the early history of mammals.  p. 129-145.  In:
F.S. Szalay, M.J. Novacek & M.C. McKenna (eds), Mammal Phylogey: Mesozoic
Differentiation, Multituberculates, Monotremes, Early Therians, and
Marsupials.  Springer-Verlag) among others.

Phylogenetic taxonomists are peferctly happy to call mammals "therapsids",
as well as "synapsids".

Given that your initial assumption is in error, the experiment you propose
is invalid.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877