Broken Stegosaur tailspike

If Stegosaurus stenops broke off half of one of its tailspikes, say,
defending itself (humor me here for a moment, those of you who don't
believe it was a weapon), what would the break look like?  Would it break
clean off or would it splinter along the length of the spike?  I'm
looking for you to "draw me a picture."  Was there a sheath of something
over bone?  Would it have bled profusely or broken off clean?

Thanks,
Larry