Re: Broken Stegosaur tailspike

>If Stegosaurus stenops broke off half of one of its tailspikes, say,
>defending itself (humor me here for a moment, those of you who don't
>believe it was a weapon), what would the break look like?  Would it break
>clean off or would it splinter along the length of the spike?  I'm
>looking for you to "draw me a picture."  Was there a sheath of something
>over bone?  Would it have bled profusely or broken off clean?
>
>Thanks,
>Larry

        If the spikes were living bone at the core, then surely they would
not have been exposed.  They must have been sheathed. Seems like they would
bleed--the bone, that is--if they were fractured to the open air.

bruce

        "Dammit, Philbert; what kind of a lepidopterist are you?  For god's
sake,
man; stand up to them!"