I see Marsh, you see Marsh, we see Marsh!

>Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
>Vertebrate Paleontologist     Webpage: http://www.geol.umd.edu
>Dept. of Geology              Email:th81@umail.umd.edu
>University of Maryland        Phone:301-405-4084
>College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661
>
>"To trace that life in its manifold changes through past ages to the present
>is a ... difficult task, but one from which modern science does not shrink.
>In this wide field, every earnest effort will meet with some degree of
>success; every year will add new and important facts; and every generation
>will bring to light some law, in accordance with which ancient life has been
>changed into life as we see it around us to-day."
>       --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877

"To trace that bandwidth in its manifold changes through past transmissions
to the present digest is a ... simple task, but one from which modern
netiquette does not shrink.  In this wide field, every earnest effort to
reduce net traffic will meet with applause and full degree of success,
every shortened message will add new available bandwidth; and every
generation will bring to light more available disk space for archived
messages, in accordance with exactly how much bandwidth has been
changed in life as we see it around us to-day."
        --J.J.Foust, Dinosaur Digest, March 4, 1997

  ~739 bytes per Holtz .signature file
43,039 bytes in Dinosaur Digest #222
40,163 bytes in D-D #222 with Holtz's signature reduced to just
        "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr."

or this example D-D is almost 7 percent Holtz's signature.  Per message
transmitted to the 570 subscribers to the list means approximately
411 K of USC bandwidth consumed per message just for his signature.  :-)

- John