Re: Deciduous horn?

>It may be true that ceratopsians shed the outer keratin layers of
>their horns - but I am afraid this does not either answer the
>original question why the front horn in ceratopsian fossils shows
>so much variation: The bony part of the horn which is preserved
>would not be affected by the changing outer layer.

Perhaps not, but bone can be resorbed; possibly there might have been some
resorbtion on a regular basis as the sheath was shed, if indeed that
happened.  Of course we may simply be dealing with age or sex differences,
or individual variation (which might have been considerable if the horn was
a sexual character or a part of dominance relationships - look at the
modern Ruff as an example.)

>By the way - could anybody tell me what a pronghorn is ?
>
>Martin Jehle, Dipl.-Ing. (FH)

The only surviving member of the Antilocapridae (genus Antilocapra), an
ungulate from western North America [it is the "antelope" that lives "where
the deer and the antelope play"].
1825 Shady Creek Court