Fwd: [Fwd: Re: NOVA]

In a message dated 97-03-03 09:30:37 EST, th81@umail.umd.edu (Thomas R.
Holtz, Jr.) writes:

<< I would much rather have Sue wind up in the hands of a foreign museum than
 in the hands of a private American collector (say, Michael Jackson) who
 wouldn't give any scientists access to the specimen. >>

I too see nothing wrong with a "foreign" museum getting Sue but the assertion
that possession by a private collector automatically means it will be
unavailable to science is an allegation. It is in the best interests of an
owner to make extremely rare and important finds available to professionals
for proper documentation, if for no other reason than to increase it's value.

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:   th81@umail.umd.edu (Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.)
Sender: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu
To:     dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: 97-03-03 09:30:37 EST

At 05:55 PM 2/28/97 -0700, kel, girl dino writer wrote:

>Depends entirely on who you believe, Jonathon.  And either way, science
>got screwed.  At least in Pete's hands (a degreed paleontologist devoted
>to careful record keeping and furthing the science), Sue would have been
>here to study and enjoy.  As it stands, she may end up in Japan.  In
>fact, I'd be willing to bet on it.

Let's not let the ugly face of jingoism raise its head here, folks.  Japan
has several excellent natural history museums available, at one of which
(the National Science Museum of Japan, in Tokyo) is a curator who is a
degreed paleontologist in vertebrate (specifically, fossil reptile)
paleontology (UNLIKE the BHI folks, whose background is outside of fossil
reptiles).

I would much rather have Sue wind up in the hands of a foreign museum than
in the hands of a private American collector (say, Michael Jackson) who
wouldn't give any scientists access to the specimen.

(Of course, what I'd REALLY like to see is the specimen wind up were I could
get to it in a day trip... :-)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877