photos on the web

I am going to be making a web page in the near future and I would like to
know etiquette about putting pictures on the page.  I know there are at
least a few professionals on the list, so the last thing I would wish to do
is offend/rip them off.  Is it OK to scan pictures if they are properly
referenced?  How would I go about linking pictures on other pages to mine (I
know how to physically do it, but how to do it without stepping on toes).

I will elabourate a bit.  My page will be on tyrannosaurs.  I have pictures
of Tyrannosaurus, Albertosaurus, and Daspletosaurus that I took myself.  I
will list the museum/exhibition that they were displayed in.  Should I do
more.  I would also like to include drawings and pictures from other
sources.  Do I ask the artist/photographer?  Reference them? Not use them?
Most people just use the picture, regardless of what the owner thinks.  The
internet is still a copyright grey area, especially when crossing borders.
I do not wish to anger anybody, but I would like to include some work from
other people, either because I cannot do it all myself or because nobody
would want to look at it if I did it myself.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com