making my web page

First of all, thank you to all of those who responded.  Your input was
fantastic.  Secondly, I thought I might hit a nerve with my post, but I
didn't realize that the nerve was so close to the surface.

There are still aspects of the issue that I do not understand.  Mostly to do
with how a personal web site is considered publishing.  That aside, I was
asking the question initially because I thought it was rude (never mind
illegal) to use other people's work without asking.  I understand how to
footnote work (and will be doing so on the page), but I was not sure how to
do pictures (art and photos [yes, photographs are art, but this was the
easiest way for me to distinguish them]).  Most of the photos that I wished
to use are already on the web in various places.  It would be easier for me
to just send people to the other sites, rather than download and patch
myself (also saves me space).  For this I fully intended to contact the
people/organisations.

As for the rest of my question, this is how I interpret the answers:

1.      If I took the photo myself of a museum skeleton, I need only tell
where the specimen is.

2.      If I took a photo of a sculpture of a dinosaur, I should ask the artist.

3.      If I wish to scan and use any artwork or photos, I should ask
permission of the artist him/herself.

All of my own photos are of skeletons.  This means I must only put at the
bottom of the picture (or whatever) "This Daspletosaurus torosus is at the
Canadian Museum of Nature".  Other than that, I need to get writing to
various people.  If that doesn't work, I need to learn to draw :-).

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com