Copyright in the classroom

At 09:16 AM 3/7/97 -0600, Rob Meyerson wrote:
>To stretch this question even further, how does the current copyright law
relate
>to classroom-lecture slide presentations (also include oral reports at
>professional meetings)?  I know many professors who use book illustrations
and
>drawings to emphasise the points that are being made; could this be
interpreted
>as an illegal activity?  I wish to know, so that when I find myself
presenting
>material in a classroom setting, I can be aware of the limits involved.

     The above practices are considered much different under copyright law.
And no, it is not an illegal activity nor copyright infringement. The main
difference being that you are not publishing the slides, book illustrations,
text and so on, nor claiming them, either directly or indirecty, as your own
works. This type of use is allowed under the "Fair Use" guidelines.
     In the publishing world, however, it is considered professional and just
plain good manners to give clear credit to the author of any text you may
quote or paraphrase in a professional lecture...or any lecture for that
matter. It is also the polite and professional thing to do when using slides
of art work and photographs.

Sincerely,
Lisa Viger