Re: Hell Creek seaway

Tompaleo@aol.com wrote:

> >  Some taxa like Myledaphus and earlier undescribed genera in
> >  the lineage have never or very rarely been found in marine strata.
> >  Lisodus is known in freshwater back to the Triassic.
> >

> Regards,
> Thomas R. Lipka
> Paleontological/Geological Studies
>
> And we have fresh water occurrences of Hybodus sp, (I think Salmon-like)as
> well as >Lissodus
Some species freshwater and some marine.
> and Ticodus (spelling?)Yes, what taxon is this. Could you send me a complete
> vertebrate faunal
list for the Arundel.
 > in the Arundel Clay (Aptian) of Maryland  too!

And where did you get an Aptian age. Everything I have says Albian.

>Athough the proximity of the depositional basin at that time was very
>close to the sea it could mean that te above were anadromus or at least
>patrolled into fresher waters.

We see the same thing with Lepodotes in the Cenomanian Dakota Fm. Many
insist that it is a marine taxa, but we can document it as abundant in
riverine deposits far inland. However it also occurs in beach sands so I
believe it ranges regularly up and down rivers like striped bass.

Jim K.