Asteroid Impact Finally Confirmed

Perhaps I've missed something, but throughout the long discussion on the
K-T extinction impact, no one really went into explaining the following:

A) How come each of the following groups survived the impact: most land
plants (especially ferns), roaches, ants, dragonflies, frogs, lizards,
turtles, crocodilians, snakes, the tuatara, birds and mammals?  Sure,
some of these animals can go into long periods of torpor to wait out
harsh environments, but the impact's effects probably lasted much too
long for an animal to survive in torpor.  Then there would be an extreme
environment to have to adapt to when they wake up.

B) How come lots of marine plankton (which assumably were the base of the
ocean food chain) went extinct, but horseshoe crabs, many fish and sharks
did not?

All the physical evidence points to an impact undoubtedly happening at
the end of the Cretaceous, but I've always been bothered by people
racking up all the impact evidence without explaining the above 2 points.
 Perhaps the impact is not the main cause of the extinction after all?

Thanks to all who answer, on or off list.

Judy Molnar
Education Associate
Virginia Living Museum
vlmed@juno.com