Re: Fwd: [Fwd: Re: NOVA]

>In a message dated 97-03-03 09:30:37 EST, th81@umail.umd.edu (Thomas R.
>Holtz, Jr.) writes:
>
><< I would much rather have Sue wind up in the hands of a foreign museum than
> in the hands of a private American collector (say, Michael Jackson) who
> wouldn't give any scientists access to the specimen. >>
>
>I too see nothing wrong with a "foreign" museum getting Sue but the assertion
>that possession by a private collector automatically means it will be
>unavailable to science is an allegation. It is in the best interests of an
>owner to make extremely rare and important finds available to professionals
>for proper documentation, if for no other reason than to increase it's value.

Just to lob an innocent gallon of kerosine on this smouldering fire, while
I agree that Sue should stay within the USA, remember that your country has
many specimens from other countries of equal importance. For example the
kronosaurus in Harvard and the opalised plesiosaur in St Paul. If, in the
interests of consistent arguments, you all deem that Sue should stay in the
USA, the above two specimens can be returned to Australia via the address
given below and your national contience will be clear.

Cheers, Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
Quinkana Pty Ltd