AUDUBON ARTICLE Q & A

Hello everyone,

I've finally gotten ahold of the new issue of Audubon Magazine with the
article concerning bird origins (in Bozeman, MT no doubt!).  I have some
questions that maybe those of you who know better might be able to answer.

The cover photo and the photo on pages 36-7 show the animal on its right
side.  Now, on page 38 there is a close-up of the skull, which upon closer
inspection is a distinctly different skull than the one on the previous page.
 I see three options for what this second skull is: 1) the counter slab
reversed so as to pretend it's the same skull as in the previous picture 2)
it is the same skull before preperation or 3) it is the elusive second
specimen - does anyone know for sure?  In truth, I can't see why they chose
this skull as the close-up photo because the other is far superior in detail
and clarity...

It's also interesting to note that on page 44 there is a picture of a
feathery lizard thing that appears in Feduccia's book as a 'hypothetical
Proavis', but is labelled in the article as Chaterjee's _Protoavis_.
 However, Feduccia's skeletal restoration of _Protoavis_ in his book is
basically _Archaeopteryx_ with four fingers....

Additionally somthing that struck me was the constant mislabelling of things
besides the 'Proavis' drawing, like the _Ingenia_ they called _Oviraptor_ and
the incorrect specific gender for _Sinosauropteryx_ (called _Compsognathus
prima_) and so on....

In awe...

Peter Buchholz
Tetanurae@aol.com

"Kissing . . . is a goodness," he explained.  "It beats the hell out of card
games."