Hoping to re-direct another clade war (was Re: Dinosaur Web Pages' Re-Opening)

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> Indeed, we might characterize a "dinosaur cladist" as an individual
> who cannot distinguish a segnosaur from an ornithomimid.

To George and anybody else who feels a need to complain about
cladistics with respect to dinosaur systematics, I strongly recommend
that you read Kevin Padian's review of Alan Feduccia's book, "The
Origin and Evolution of Birds".  The review can be found in one of (if
not actually) the most recent issues of _American Scientist_ -- the
one with the Burgess Shale fauna on the cover.  I haven't asked him,
so I could be overinterpreting, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to
find that Kevin was also thinking of George when he wrote that
review...

--
Mickey Rowe     (mrowe@indiana.edu)