Re: Dino cladistics - long with requotations

At 05:24 PM 3/10/97 -0500, Dinogeorge wrote:
>As I've said before, a 95% confidence
>level means that there's still one chance in 20 that a particular cladogram
>is wrong >despite< parsimony, and if we're going to weed out any wrong
>cladograms, the place to start could well be with those cladograms that, at
>least at first sight, seem most outrageous.

Incidentally, where do you get the 95% confidence level figure from?  The
Heuristics Option on PAUP (or similar option on other software) is
calculated to be 95% accurate (because it can occassionally accept a local
rather than a global minimum), but there are options on these software
packages which are capable of searching ALL the possible trees.  (For large
databases, though, these require prohibitively long times).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661