Re: Cretaceous Mass Extinction

Michael wrote:

<snip>

> I have thought that dinosaurs were on the out prior to the collision
> and that it didn't help.  I now wonder about two things since the
> collision was so violent(read massive bolide).
>
> The first is the local affect to the North American Continent.  The
> energy from the blast likely devastated the continent.  Only those
> animals protected from the initial blast and heat would have
> survived.  Likely some did.

This reminds me of something I read recently: Keith Rigby claims to have
found dinosaur fossils associated with Paleocene mammals, _in situ_, not
reworked, in two different locales.  One is in China, the other is the
Bug Creek deposits of Montana, North America.

Does anyone know if this claim has been either confirmed or refuted by
other workers?  And if it's confirmed, how does it square with the
notion of a Yucatan impact spraying NA with debris and blast effects?

-- JSW