Re: Dino cladistics - long with requotations

In a message dated 97-03-11 13:47:33 EST, th81@umail.umd.edu (Thomas R.
Holtz, Jr.) writes:

<< Incidentally, where do you get the 95% confidence level figure from?  The
 Heuristics Option on PAUP (or similar option on other software) is
 calculated to be 95% accurate (because it can occassionally accept a local
 rather than a global minimum), but there are options on these software
 packages which are capable of searching ALL the possible trees...>>

It's entirely possible I've been misled into equating "confidence level" with
"consistency index." However, although the two terms surely have different
formal definitions, they do seem to be used much the same way in the
literature. I'd appreciate a short dissertation on these terms and their
differences, and especially on any transform that will derive one from the
other, if such exists, from anyone who's up on them.