Re: Dino cladistics - long with requotations

At 04:19 PM 3/11/97 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>It's entirely possible I've been misled into equating "confidence
>level" with "consistency index." However, although the two terms
>surely have different formal definitions, they do seem to be used
>much the same way in the literature.

If so, it is based on a misunderstanding.

The two are quite different.

The consistency index is a measure of how well the data support the
reported cladogram.

The confidence level is *should* be a measure of the probability that the
two cladogram do not effectively differ from one another. At least that is
what the standard statistical definition would mean when applied to
cladograms. As far as I can tell, there is, as yet, no way to truly
determine this value.

Alternatiely, one could talk about the confidence level for a clade, which
would be the probability that a particular way of breaking a polytomy is
correct (or, equivalently, the probability that a candidate clade is real).

May the peace of God be with you                sarima@ix.netcom.com
                                                      swf@elsegundoca.ncr.com