Re: Low frequency sounds from elephants

> I'm still struggling with the question of how elephants are able to produce
> vocalizations of 30 Hz.  I'm leaning toward the idea that they use their
> trunks as closed air columns.  If this turns out to be correct, I'll
> probably start wondering if hadrosaurs could do the same thing with their
> crests.

I do not know about the dinosaurs, but you are correct about
elephants using  their trunks to communicate with low level
frequencies.  They often do this when afraid.  The sound is not
detectable by human ears, but their riders can feel it through the
cranium.  It's been published, but I don't have the paper nor
remember the source.

Michael Teuton
803-732-2327 Phone
803-749-6191 Fax