T rex olfaction

There could be rather exotic reasons for the evolution of T rex's highly
developed olfactory lobes.

Suppose that T rex behaved towards conspecifics in the fashion of leopards:
because of their great danger to one another they practiced mutual avoidance.
If they were few in number and widely dispersed, finding one another at the time
when females were sexually receptive could prove very difficult.  If receptivity
was signaled by pheromones, then the male who could track the pheromone trail to
its source first would have the best chance of leaving progeny.  We can image
pheromones functioning more easily at an earlier stage of evolution when our
assumed dispersal was not as radical.  Ex hypothesi, as dispersion increased
with increase in size (and concomitant danger and need for more
hunting/scavenging space) the ability to detect pheromones at ever increasing
distances would be very strongly favored.  This would set in motion a gradual
increase in the relative size of the olfactory lobe as members of the population
increased in size during its evolution.  So it COULD be that T rex's acute sense
of smell has little to do with predation.

Do we know anything about the relative size of the olfactory lobe in early
evolutionary precursors of the Tyrannosaurs?

Richard Dieterle