Re: Theory of Non-Avian Dino Extinction

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:

> However, most of what you cite is pretty much the standard Alvarez-style
> model.

Also, though some tropical bats go into daily torpor (to keep metabolism
low, I suppose) they cannot be induced to lengthen this short "sleep".
And to add to the "in which hemisphere is it winter" point, mammals which
hibernate must prepare by storing body fat etc.  Animals which are induced
to hibernate before they have prepared cannot survive.  Finally, I don't
know if there is any reason why a dinosaur somewhere in the world
couldn't a hibernator.