Re: Theory of Non-Avian Dino Extinction

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, John Bois wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
>
> > However, most of what you cite is pretty much the standard Alvarez-style
> > model.
>
> Also, though some tropical bats go into daily torpor (to keep metabolism
> low, I suppose) they cannot be induced to lengthen this short "sleep".
> And to add to the "in which hemisphere is it winter" point, mammals which
> hibernate must prepare by storing body fat etc.  Animals which are induced
> to hibernate before they have prepared cannot survive.  Finally, I don't
> know if there is any reason why a dinosaur somewhere in the world
> couldn't a hibernator.

Are there any extant species of reptile or, more to the point, bird that
truly hibernate? Seems to me that if you could find such a critter, you
would have an "in" for dino-hibernation.

Seems to me that true hibernation, and torpor for that matter, are
mammalian capabilities.  Now some fish and amphibians can survive
surrounded by deep mud during dry spells, but is that homologous to
hibernation?

Matt
http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoPage.html

Matt Fraser                               "The Real World is very
                                            complex and chaotic,
mattf+@pitt.edu                         so that, in order to survive,
                                   humans find it necessary to construct
                                           an illusion of reality."