Re: Theory of Non-Avian Dino Extinction

Matt Fraser wrote:
> Are there any extant species of reptile or, more to the point, bird that
> truly hibernate? Seems to me that if you could find such a critter, you
> would have an "in" for dino-hibernation.

Rattlesnakes hybernate.  Turtles hybernate.  Some lizards. Can't think
of any birds that do.

> Seems to me that true hibernation, and torpor for that matter, are
> mammalian capabilities.  Now some fish and amphibians can survive
> surrounded by deep mud during dry spells, but is that homologous to
> hibernation?

it's seasonal, isn't it?
At least in the case of lungfish and frogs, though some can and will
survive severe drought situations by simply prolonging their sleep.
'course some plain ol don't wake up, either.

--
           Betty Cunningham
mail e-mail replies to bettyc@flyinggoat.com