Re: Fw: Audobon bird/dino article

At 12:13 AM 3/18/97 -0500, Ray McAllister wrote:
>Stanley, I won't judge the rest of your post but I have seen loons and
>grebes flying underwater and they both have large wings. It is a
>spectacular sight to have a large bird go by you so fast that there
>is no doubt they coulds catch a fish. I was, of course, using SCUBA!

Interesting.

Still, they do not match the criterion used by the article's author to
determine which forms were still aquatic fliers, as they lack a long tail.
(This is, of course, not a fatal blow to the hypothesis, and it probably
worth further study).

What is the wing loading in loons and grebes?  Do they have less wing
surface for their size than standard flying birds?

May the peace of God be with you                sarima@ix.netcom.com
                                                      swf@elsegundoca.ncr.com