Hibernating birds

>> Rattlesnakes hybernate.  Turtles hybernate.  Some lizards. Can't think
>> of any birds that do.
>
>OK. So we have reptiles, but no birds (I also have never heard of
>hibernation in birds, and I think (hope) that I would have remembered
>that one).

At least one bird certainly does.  The Poorwill, a nightjar of western
North America, is a well-known hibernator.  There are some other candidates
for bird hibernation as well, but as I am away from home I cannot check
this exactly.  Look up "Hibernation" in A Dictionary of Birds, edited by
Bruce Campbell and Elizabeth Lack.
Home: 1825 Shady Creek Court                  Internet: ornstn@inforamp.net
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2