Re: Fw: Audobon bird/dino article

Stanley Friesen writes;

>Still, they do not match the criterion used by the article's author to
>determine which forms were still aquatic fliers, as they lack a long tail.
>(This is, of course, not a fatal blow to the hypothesis, and it probably
>worth further study).
>
>What is the wing loading in loons and grebes?  Do they have less wing
>surface for their size than standard flying birds?

To take the debate even further, does the feather structure appear to be the
type that would keep water out, or would Archy's feathers end up acting like a
sponge?  In looking at this university's copy of the Berlin specimin (a copy of
a copy of a copy), it appears that the latter idea works best.  If so, would
this put the "aquatic Archy" theory in jeopardy?

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but  "That's funny ..."
       --  Isaac Asimov