Albertosaurus, or not

I just got my photos back of the A. sarcophagus maxilla and dentary from the
ROM. Incidentally, the ROM has a new mount of the MOR 555 T. rex that is
just fantastic. The people of Research Casting Internation really did a good
job.  IMHO, it is the best mount around.

My question has to do with the "bulldog" face that A. sarcophagus is
supposed to have that G./A. libratus lacks.  Just looking at the maxillae of
the two, unscientifically (I have no measurements), they do not look much
different to me.  Would I have to look at other bones of the skull to see a
more pronounced pug in sarcophagus?  It does look a little bit more
shortened, but with the variation seen in the confirmed T. rex skulls, I am
not sure if it would be out of the range of variation.  The only picture of
a skull of A. sarcophagus that I have is a tiny picture in the casting
catalogue from the RTMP that I have.  It is so small that it can hardly be
used for discussion.

Incidentally, I compared it with pictures of the skulls of libratus from the
ROM, the AMNH, and the FMNH's whatever-it-is-being-called-now.  I wish I
could convince somebody that I should be allowed to study the real
specimens.  Being untrained in doing so, I found it difficult to compare the
crushed maxilla of the type of G. libratus from the 1917 article to my
picture.  That skull kind of looks like the skunk's I hit in the summer.

I am also checking to see if I missed the boat somewhere.  Thank you.

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com