nat geo explorer

It is most unfortunate that the Nat Geo Explorer episode Roger and
Fossilnut refer to was presented as non-fiction. This time they didn't even
try to disguise their (the producer's) agenda, and what a pathetic waste of
our financial resources.    Slanted?  You're too kind. Self-promotion and
sensationalism-at-any-cost obviously guided this endeavour.  My respect for
Nat Geo evaporated with the content of that show.  FYI, the ray in question
was collected at Rick Hebdon's quarry (Warfield fossils) on PRIVATE LAND.
Yes, there are State lands in Wyoming that are leased to private companies
for the purpose of collecting and selling fossils, but that is not where
this specimen came from. (Although in the middle of his being ambushed, the
dealer said it had been.)  In either case, there appears to have been a
serious infringement on someone's rights. I understand that both the
producers and Sgt Rogers KNEW that the specimen was legally collected, but
went ahead with presenting their "bust" anyway.  How would you like to have
been the victim of such corrupt propagandism?  Your plea for tolerance did
not go unnoticed either.  I don't think that any of us
(commercial/amateur/academic) desires confrontation.  Those who choose to
present the issues in moral terms, or propose monopolistic solutions, or
engage in blatant distortions such as the Nat Geo episode, unfortunately,
fail to recognize that in so doing they are guaranteeing a confrontational
response, and a perpetuation of the ugliness of the status quo.  Education
and cooperation are the keys to good future relations among us.   Here's
the bottom line:  We all love fossils.  We love what they can tell us, we
love how they look and feel, and how they spur the mind to contemplate and
seek answers to the most profound questions of life.  Some of us share them
by selling them to others, many times to institutions where they can be
further studied and appreciated.  Some of us make & sell copies of them to
multiply their impact on the minds of not only our own but future
generations.  Some of us volunteer our time and effort to these great
ideals.  Some of us sell our time and talents to the institutions that
employ us, and through our writings spread the exciting and important news
that is paleontology.  We are indeed all in it together.