Re: Theory of Non-Avian Dino Extinction

At 07:19 PM 3/22/97 -0500, bruce thompson wrote:
>        But were those regions very cold back then?  I have heard of
>dinosaur fossils found in the arctic.  But I have also heard of
>Mesozoic palm tree fossils found there, too.

They were not as cold as now, but still quite chilly by animal standards.

The last estimate I saw for the Maastrichtian North Slope was an average
annual temperature of a few degrees above freezing.  Factoring in the lack
of sunlight for several months, and you get freezing temperatures in the
winter, almost certainly.

May the peace of God be with you                sarima@ix.netcom.com
                                                      swf@elsegundoca.ncr.com