Re: Theory of Non-Avian Dino Extinction

>Paul Willis wrote:
> In
>> at lease one case (the Victorian Dinosaur Cove Site) it has been suggested
>> that the dinosaurs were too small to migrate in and out of the area.
>> Hybernation would be an option here.
>
>As I understand it there was an extensive seaway north of the site, such
>that you would have to migrate 800 miles laterally before you could turn
>north away from the pole. I hear there are traces of ice in these
>strata.
>
>However, Is there not a large (foot long jaw) fossil of a Early Cret.
>Labrinthodont Amphibian from this area as well.
>
>Jim K.

Perhaps Adam Yates would be better at answering this but the seaway tou
refer to was quite a long way north (around 800km) and the exposed part of
eastern Australia at that time resembled a reversed "L" with Dinosaur Cove
on the bottom side of the horizontal and the seaway on the top side.

I don't know about (and I am deeply suspicious about) ice being found in
the sediments. There are indications that the temperature got down to
around freezing point, so yes, it did still get pretty cold but appreciably
warmer than similar latitudes today (80 degrees south).

Similarly, as Jim points out, the presence of large labyrinthodonts and
crocodiles in the site indicates that the climate was quite different from
modern expectations.

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis