Mononykus

     I just read a paper published in Auk a little while ago that
discussed _Mononykus_.  It made the point that the longitudinally oriented
and keeled sternum is a feature that is shared covergently between
digging animals and flying birds, and this may be the case with
_Mononykus_. It also suggested that the lack of fusion in the carpals of
Mononykus was more suggestive of theropods then birds because it was less
fused then in _Archaeopteryx_.  It also suggested that the fibula
not articulating with the tarsus was another covergent feature.
Comments?  Do any other theropods have fibula that don't make it to the
tarsus?
     Off the subject, is it just me or does the physics community have
more then its fair share of creationsists?  It has been my impression
that a lot of creationist arguments have been proposed by physicists,
and walking down the physics hall the other day I overheared two
physicists avidly discussing how evolution violates the second law of
thermodynamics (I guess the biospere isn't really powered by the Sun
after all).  Was that Hoyle's motivation for proposing that the Berlin
specimen feathers were a hoax?

LN Jeff
O-
**Dinosaur Bob rips the underpants off guys we hate!!**