Re: Ostrich eggs

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Michael wrote:

>  The
> Serengeti Lion by Schaller reports seeing lions open an ostrich egg
> on one occasion.(pg208)

And from a book I'm reading on Ostriches: "...an egg given to a
lioness...was so efficiently demoloshed that we felt certain that she had
done so before.  She held the egg down with her forepaws, made a hole at
the top with her canine teeth, and lapped the contents through the hole
with her tongue, spilling almost none."  (Brian Bertram _The
Ostrich Communal nesting
System_.