Re: Oreodon

At 09:19 AM 3/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm trying to find information on the Oreodon.  After doing a little
>research on the internet, I came up with very little information.  Is it
>painfully clear I know nothing on this subject?  :)
>
>What I'm looking for is just general information.  And a picture, if it is
>available.

The critter is properly known as Merycoidodon.  However, some people call
them 'cookie monsters', after their invalid old name... :-)  Cute little
bugger: my first job my summer as a preparator was cleaning one of their skulls.

As for sources, there is R.J.G. Savage & M.R. Long's 1986 book _Mammal
Evolution: An Illustrated Guide_.  Almost any book on mammal evolution
and/or introduction to vertebrate paleontology should have some mention and
picture of Merycoidodon.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661