Re: RTs (lengthy)

Van Smith writes;

>I believe Mr. Jones argues that without RTs, an animal on an expensive
>energy budget would lose so much H20 and heat as to render that animal
>incapable of moderating either.  I suspect that RTs exist in both
>modern mammals and birds because, for small forms (and all modern
>mammals and birds evolved from very small ancestors), they are indeed
>important for heat and moisture retention (ventilation surface area/body
>volume
>as well as ventilation rates both become higher and higher for smaller and
>smaller animals).

Confused...

In watching a presentation on the Discovery Channel (I know, not the best
source of info), the narrator said that the function of the RT's is simply to
give the animal a better sense of smell (more places to put olfactory
receptors).  Is this merely a case of double-duty, with the RT's performing
multiple roles?

Rob Meyerson
Orphan Vertebrate Paleontologist

***