Re: Mononykus

Bettyc wrote:

> Tracy Ford wrote:
> > Mononykus has long legs and had a high body. You
> > need a short neck to keep the head close the the ground and the length
> > of the fore-limbs, both lacking in Mononykus.
> > What was the arm's used for? I don't have a clue, but digging wasn't
> > one of them.
>
> How would Mononykus' posture compare to that of a ground sloth?  Both
> seem to be upright animals with over-sized claws.  (and you've looked
> closer than I have)

Well, you didn't ask me, but in my humble opinion Mononykus's posture
was most dissimilar to that of a ground sloth.  From what I remember in
Natural History, it stood in typical counterbalance therapod dinosaur
fashion on its hindlegs in that way that we have come to know and love.
Lacking a long tail, a ground sloth could probably not do this; they had
very long forearms and could easily "go" quadruped, no?

Larry