Re: "Early" cretaceous Tyrannosaurids

At 10:05 PM 5/1/97 +0900, TERUO MIZUKAMI wrote:
>The Japanese news shows that fossil discovered last year at
>the Tetori Group (Lower Cretaceous) of Fukui in Japan was judged to be
>the premaxilla tooth of tyrannosaurids.
>          According to M.Manabe (National Science Museum), as for the
>tooth of tyrannosaurids, it is the first fossil discovered in Japan
>and is the oldest in the world. Fossil is about 1 cm in the length and
>about 5 mm in width and it's horizontal section is D type. Different
>from other carnivorous dinosaurs, it's characteristic only of tyranno-
>saurids.

Might I add that, having examined this tooth, it is fairly clearly
tyrannosaurid, and helps to polarize the character "premaxillary tooth
serrations absent" in my data matrix, lending (very weak) support to the
monophyly of Aublysodontinae.

(This tooth does possess clear serrations).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877