Warning: Non-dino spamming (was Re: The (ugh!) "Voyager"...)

Note: the following is devoid of paleontological content.  Those looking for
some new dinosaur stuff, skip this message.

(But hey, even I'm entitled to a little spamming now and then...)

At 11:05 AM 5/1/97 -0500, Chuck Prime wrote:

>> This is true.  Television is stupid no matter how you slice it, being
>> engineered for the lowest common denominator
>
>Ah, but that's the beauty of the Star Trek empire, even including it's
>nadir, Voyager: it is _not_ geared to the lowest common denominator. It's
>multi-generational success is due to the fact that it is one of the more
>thoughtful shows television has ever produced.

Ugh...

Well, relative to a lot of trash out there, true.

However, you might want to take a gander at the last, best hope for
thoughtful science fiction (or most any sort of) show on TV today, Babylon 5.

[Note: I am not an employee of Babylonian Productions, nor is this posting
an official endorsement on the part of the University of Maryland.  Not that
it shouldn't be, but it isn't...]

There hasn't been a paleontological episode of Bab5 yet, but archeology has
played an important role in the story line so far.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877