Re: The (ugh!) "Voyager" dino-show...

> Ah, but that's the beauty of the Star Trek empire, even including it's
> nadir, Voyager: it is _not_ geared to the lowest common denominator. It's
> multi-generational success is due to the fact that it is one of the more
> thoughtful shows television has ever produced. In fact, those of us who
> dislike Voyager do so because it is the _least_ thoughtful of the Star
> Treks.

The temptation to veer off-topic is so strong!  Well, I didn't start
it.

I have to say that Trek is ok for mind candy but not really
thoughtful science fiction in my humble opinion.  Little hard
science, lots of mysterious "crystals" that somehow let us fly at
super-light speed, all sorts of other unlikely technological
miracles that are not anchored in real science and thus fail to
engage us in their science fiction element (it's really fantasy, not
science fiction: "wave this magic wand, and the wounds go away").

Almost every race is humanoid. 'Nuff said.

Sickening plot devices allow us to "explore" the nature of mankind
(in fact,  an opportunity for self-congratulation -- no
surprise the shows are so popular!)

Finally, it's all wrapped up in an insufferably bland,
goody-two-shoes view of the future that makes you want to kill
yourself,  a hold-over of the 1960's  series, in which the Good
Federation (read United States) confronts the evil Klingons (read the
Rooskies).  Why else do bored fans cheer that rarely seen trio,
the  Borg, the Romulans and the (authentic) Klingons?

Of course, even Voyager is far better than the badly-acted and
horrendously written Babylon 5!

Speaking of Star Trek . . .

We are Pentium of Borg
Arithmetic is futile
Prepare to be approximated

I'm swearing off off-topic posts!  (After this one!)

Larry
"Very funny, Scotty.  Now beam down my clothes."