Chicxulub crater

Dear All,

I've been reading up on the critiques of the asteroid impact hypothesis
for the sole cause of the K-T extinction.  I've come across a 1994
reference which refers to a 1960s well drilling into the Chicxulub
{spelling?} crater that is interpreted as showing it can't be an impact
crater of any kind.  Also, examination of 2 Deep Sea Drilling Project
cores from sites that are the closest to this crater confirm non-impact
signatures.  The crater is also shown to be the wrong time, with late
Cretaceous sediments overlying the actual depression.

Is there any other post -1994 reference that refutes or confirms these
findings?  Is there any other crater considered a worthy candidate for
the supposed K-T extinction event? (i.e. the right *size* and the right
time?)

I'm not fully convinced there was an impact, after immersing myself in
critiques.  This crater was the best candidate, but the 1994 reference
says no.  Not being a geologist by trade, I find myself very confused.
If anyone can enlighten me with newer references, please do so!

I'm trying to pursue this in a scientifically rigorous, skeptical manner,
so that I can present a balanced view of the topic "what killed the
dinosaurs?" for the summer volunteers at our museum. Thanks!

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com