Re: Chicxulub crater

> Date: Thursday, 1 May, 1997 5.14 PM
>
> Dear All,
>
> I've been reading up on the critiques of the asteroid impact hypothesis
> for the sole cause of the K-T extinction.  I've come across a 1994
> reference which refers to a 1960s well drilling into the Chicxulub
> {spelling?} crater that is interpreted as showing it can't be an impact
> crater of any kind.  Also, examination of 2 Deep Sea Drilling Project
> cores from sites that are the closest to this crater confirm non-impact
> signatures.  The crater is also shown to be the wrong time, with late
> Cretaceous sediments overlying the actual depression.
>
> Is there any other post -1994 reference that refutes or confirms these
> findings?  Is there any other crater considered a worthy candidate for
> the supposed K-T extinction event? (i.e. the right *size* and the right
> time?)

        Well, here's a long list of references going back to 1994.  I can't say
that any of them refute the paper you asked about, but it's something to
work with...

M.J. Benton, C.T.S. Little 1994, Impact in the Caribbean and death of the
dinosaurs, Geology Today, 10(6):222-7

A.A. Meyerhoff, J.B. Lyons and C.B. Officer 1994, Chicxulub Structure: A
Volcanic Sequence of Late Cretaceous Age, Geology, 22:3-4

Charles B. Officer 1994a, Chicxulub structure: a volcanic sequence of Late
Cretaceous age, in Dino Fest: Proceedings of a Conference for the General
Public, Gary D. Rosenberg & Donald L. Wolberg (eds.) Univ. Tennessee Press,
Knoxville, The Paleontological Society Special Publication, 7:425-36

B.C. Schuaraytz, V.L. Sharpton & L.E. Marin 1994, Petrology of impact-melt
rocks at the Chicxulub multiribg basin, Yucatan, Mexico, Geology,
22(10):868-72

W. Alvarez, P. Claeys & S.W. Kiefer 1995, Emplacement of Cretaceous -
Tertiary Boundary Shocked Quartz from Chicxulub Crater, Science: a weekly
journal, 269(5226):930-5

B.F. Bohor, B.P. Glass 1995, Origin and diagenesis of K/T impact spherules
- From Haiti to Wyoming and beyond, Meteoritics, 30(2):182-

Sankar Chatterjee 1995, The KT impact event: New links between the
Chicxulub and the Shiva craters, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology,
15(suppl. to 3):23A

J.M. Espindola, M. Mena & M. Delafuente & J.O. Camposenriquez 1995, A model
of the Chicxulub impat structure (Yucatan, Mexico) based on its gravity and
magnetic signatures, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors,
92(3/4):271-8

F.T. Kyte, J.A. Bostwick 1995, Magnesioferrite spinel in
Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary sediments of the Pacific basin: Remnants of
hot, early ejecta from the Chicxulub impact?, Earth and Planetary Science
Letters, 132(1/4):113-

Kim A. McDonald 1995, Antarctic Dig Finds Fossils From Ancient Catastrophe:
Remains may be first evidence of life killed by an asteroid's impact,
Chronicle of Higher Education (11 March), pp A11, A21

T. Meisel, U. Krahenbuhl & M.A. Nazarov 1995, Combined osmium and strontium
isotopic study of the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary at Sumbar, Turnmenistan:
a test for an impact vs. a volcanic hypothesis, Geology, 23(4):313-6

E. Perry, L. Marin & J. McClain & V. Guadalupe 1995, Ring of Cenotes
(sinkholes), northwest Yucatan, Mexico: Its hydrogeologic characteristics
and possible association with the Chicxulub impact crater, Geology,
23(1):17-20

W.C. Ward, G. Keller & W. Stinnesbeck & T. Adatte 1995, Yucatan subsurface
stratigraphy: Implications and constraints for the Chicxulub impact,
Geology, 23(10):873-6

Anonymous 1996, Stratigraphy: Layers of Evidence: The rocks blasted out by
the K/T impact eventually fell back to Earth. Their final sequence and
position can tell us much about the aftermath of impact, The Planetary
Report, 16(4):10-

J.O. Campos-Enriquez, R. Diaz-Navarro & M. Mena 1996, Chicxulub --
Subsurface structure of impact crater infered from gravity and magnetic
data, The Leading Edge, 15(5):357-

M. Connors, A.R. Hildebrand &  M. Pilkington & C. Ortizaleman & R.E. Chavez
& J. Urrutiafucugauchi & E. Granielcastro & A. Camarazi & J. Vasquez & J.F.
Halpenny 1996, Yucatan karst features and the size of the Chicxulub crater,
Geophysical Journal International, 127(3):F11-4

Gerald M. Friedman 1996, Yucatan Subsurface Stratigraphy: Implications And
Constraints For The Chicxulub Impact: Discussion, Carbonates and
Evaporites, 11(1):141-2

R.A.F. Grieve, L.J. Pesonen 1996, Terrestrial impact craters - Their
spatial and temporal distribution and impacting bodies, Earth, Moon, and
Planets, 72(1-3):357-76

Gerta Keller, Wolfgang Stinnesbeck 1996, Near-K/T age of clastic deposits
from Texas to Brazil: impact, volcanism and/or sea-level lowstand?, Terra
Nova, 8(3):277-85

Kevin O. Pope, Adriana C. Ocampo & G.L. Kinsland & Randy Smith 1996,
Surface expression of the Chicxulub crater, Geology, 24(6):527-30

Peter H. Schultz, Steven D'Hondt 1996, Cretaceous-Tertiary (Chicxulub)
impact angle and its consequences, Geology, 24(11):963-7

B.C. Schuraytz, D.J. Lindstrom & L.E. Marin & R.R. Martinez & D.W.
Mittlefehldt & V.L. Sharpton & S.J. Wentworth 1996, Iridium Metal in
Chicxulub Impact Melt: Forensic Chemistry on the K-T Smoking Gun, Science:
a weekly journal, 271(5255):1573-6

Willa C. Ward 1996, Yucatan Subsurface Stratigraphy: Implications And
Constraints For The Chicxulub Impact: Reply, Carbonates and Evaporites,
11(1):142

R.J. Hart, M.A.G. Andreoli & D. Brandt 1997, Late Jurassic age for the
Morokweng impact structure, southern Africa, Earth and Planetary Science
Letters, 147(1/4):25-

G. Keller, W. Stinnesbeck 1997, Yucatan subsurface stratigraphy:
Implications and constraints for the Chicxulub impact - comment, reply,
Geology, 25(1):93-

G. Keller, J.G. Lopez-Oliva & W. Stinnesbeck & T. Adatte 1997, Age,
stratigraphy, and deposition of near-K/T siliciclastic deposits in Mexico:
Relation to bolide impact?, Bulletin of the Geological Society of America,
109(4):410-28

M. Pecheux, F. Michaud 1997, Yucatan subsurface stratigraphy: Implications
and constraints for the Chicxulub impact - comment, Geology, 25(1):92-3

Hope this helps!

-Mikiel
Tempe, Arizona