Re: I. orientalis

At 07:16 PM 1/11/96 -0800, you wrote:
>I was surfing around, and found a place where T. R. Holtz jr.  said
>anything about that _Iguanodon orientalis_ is not the one whith the big
>snout, as often pictured. Then which dinosaur is it which had that big
>snout, whtn it was not I. orientalis?

That is correct, the type material of _I. orientalis_ cannot be
distinguished from _I. bernissartensis_, as revealed by Norman and Kurzanov
in a recent paper in the Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society.

The big snouted iguanodontian has not been formally named, although Norman
and Kurzanov have a paper in the works in which they will propose a new
generic name.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661