Re: I. orientalis

In a message dated 97-05-02 14:26:28 EDT, enrique@sn.no (DinosØMP) writes:

<< I was surfing around, and found a place where T. R. Holtz jr.  said
 anything about that _Iguanodon orientalis_ is not the one whith the big
 snout, as often pictured. Then which dinosaur is it which had that big
 snout, whtn it was not I. orientalis? >>

David Norman has restudied the Asian iguanodontid material, and finds that
_Iguanodon orientalis_ is indistinguishable from _Iguanodon bernissartensis_,
whereas it >is< distinguishable from the big-nosed and still unnamed
iguanodontid. I think he and Kurzanov will have a new generic name for the
big-nose shortly. Meanwhile, _I. orientalis_ is synonymized with _I.
bernissartensis_ here:

Norman, D. B., 1996. "On Mongolian ornithopods (Dinosauria: Ornithischia). 1.
Iguanodon orientalis Rozhdestvensky 1952," Zoological Journal of the Linnaean
Society 116: 303–315.