[Fwd: Re: Fictitious Dinosaurs in various visual (and non-visual) media]

Dinosaur Central
http://www.users.interport.net/~dinosaur
Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.users.interport.net/~dinosaur/teefr.html
Book Three of the Teddy Trilogy. Member of The Author Ring.

Laser Publishing Group
Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502
--- Begin Message ---
The comment below really puts its finger on the problem: How, exactly,
does one convince entertainers that scientific accuracy is in their best
financial interest? Unlike real scientifc research, it is just as easy
for a fiction writer to make something up as it is to be accurate.
Perhaps that is the entire problem. Science fiction as a literary
tradition is a mix of fact and speculation and is accepted as such. The
speculation often leads to legitimate discovery (cf Jules Verne or
Arthur Clarke). It follows, according to some of the more virulent
exchanges about Star Trek, that all science fiction should be outlawed
because it posits ideas not supported by current theoretical models.

One strategy of course is to charge lots and lots of money for ALL
consulation: this would require something on the order of a "Science
Consultants Union" and would preclude such organizations as The Dinosaur
Society (a not for profit) from putting their seal of approval on
ANYTHING unless a hefty sum of money was paid into a neutral pool for
science research. It is an interesting question of what becomes the
greatest motivator: largess or total non-cooperation.

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
SNIP

> Just a short comment. While I agree with the premise of the post, I would say
> >never< give Hollywood >anything< "for free." Hollywood, the TV networks, and
> studios are not in business to "contribute to legitimate scientific inquiry";
> they're in business to make money by selling entertainment to the masses.
> Information, and >anything< for that matter, given away for free to Hollywood
> is quickly treated with contempt as worthless. Hollywood is rolling in money,
> and the studios should be obliged to pay the going rate for scientific
> consultation if they want it. Convince the studios that scientific accuracy
> will make their product more salable. SNIP

Dinosaur Central
http://www.users.interport.net/~dinosaur
Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.users.interport.net/~dinosaur/teefr.html
Book Three of the Teddy Trilogy. Member of The Author Ring.

Laser Publishing Group
Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502

--- End Message ---