Re: Hadrosaur defense.

> dwlewis wrote:
> >
> > What is believed to be the Hadrosaurs defense against predators?

I think that herding would give them the same protection that herding
mammals have.  Herding is not always a passive defense of "well they
can't get all of us; hopefully it will be you and not me."  Herds of
buffalo, zebra, and antelope actively defend against predators at
times.  They don't always run for it.

I don't know if this can be applied to dinosaurs, but I believe it is
likely they did many of the things animals today do.

I also think that the tail of a hadrosaur would have been a
formidable weapon.  It was heavy and relatively stiff, and would have
packed a good wallop if moved with any speed at all.  Of course, this
is just speculation.

As always, this is only an opinion, subject to
retraction and recall without notice, and with
due respect to others opinions.

Thanks,

Michael Teuton MD