Re: Hadrosaur defense.

> Michael wrote:
>
> > I also think that the tail of a hadrosaur would have been a
> > formidable weapon.  It was heavy and relatively stiff, and would have
> > packed a good wallop if moved with any speed at all.  Of course, this
> > is just speculation.
>
> The tail of hadrosaurs are very fat seen from the side, but seen from
> above it was thinner that paper! (or very thin). It was absolutely
> impossible to swing the tail whith enough speed, that it would hurt any
> predator. The tail was no weapon.
I'm not being defensive since my theory is sheer speculation anyway.
So this is a genuine question.

How can you know that a hadrosaur's tail wasn't heavy?  How much
flesh, etc filled the bone out.  And being a long time karate
disciple, much power can come from the hips.  The end of the tail
could have been traveling at quite a speed.  Just some musings from
someone with more questions than answers.

As always, this is only an opinion, subject to
retraction and recall without notice, and with
due respect to others opinions.

Thanks,

Michael Teuton MD